1657: A letter of Vincent de Paul to Fr Edmundo Jolly, superior in Rome referring to possible establishment of the Congregation in Spain and suggesting that Fr. Gerard Brin would be most appropriate to go there, since Fr. Jean Martin was necessary in Turin. Vincent wrote that he would continue thinking about it while waiting for news from the Archbishop of Toledo. Vincent doubted to send to Fr. Martin, a Spanish priest, formerly a Jesuit, who offered himself to go to Spain as he didn’t want to accept him the Congregation without trial period first.
1688: In Algiers, Brother Francis Francillon dies, tied to the mouth of a cannon. A native of the diocese of Poitiers, he entered the company in April 1645. He was the first Brother who, with Julien Guerin, came to Algeria, and the one who led Michel Montmasson from Marseilles to Algiers. Having, for nearly half a century, shared the regular fatigue and persecution of missionaries, it seemed that the good Lord fit this courageous Brother of the Mission grace to meet glorious death of John Vacher and Michel Montmasson.
1697: The attorney of Hotel-Dieu administrators and its key people requested the dispatch of two sisters to the Hotel Dieu in La Ferte Gaucher. The contract was signed by Mother Juliana Laboue and three officials and ratified by Fr Maurice Faure, vicar general of the Congregation of the Mission.
1733: Fr Jean Bonnet and Mother Carlier, in response to a request made by four sisters from the parish of La Daurade in Toulouse agreed that the Daughters of Charity will be buried in the cloister of the Benedictine Monastery, located in the parish. The blessings have approved this request.
1741: The secretary of the Archbishop of Tours, on behalf of the directors of the Hotel Dieu and with the approbation of the Archbishop, sign contract for establishment of two sisters at the hospital of La Madeleine in Tours to take care of children to feed and educate them until the age of five.
1945: In the small sacrysty of Maison-Mère reliquaries of St. Vincent are carried for recognition. Events in 1940 and all fears inspired decision to move the precious relics to bishop’s Château. The body of St. Vincent returned to Paris on a truck on June 3, 1945 and were introduced to Maison-Mère at 18:30 the same day with all bells ringing. One of the benefits today’s recognition was washing the ratchet and to arranging the cassock covering the remains of our Blessed Father. Then the reliquaries were waiting, in the red living room, for the solemn transfer, which happened on July 11. On that day, preceded by the priests in surplices singing the “Magnificat” and the “Quis novus”, the body of St. Vincent was carried by four confreres, traversing large corridor to regain the chapel.