1617. Châtillon les Dombes, after the homily delivered three days before, by Vincent de Paul, who was pastor there, first Brotherhood of Charity is founded. Eight ladies joined in response to the poor sick of the town, taking turns, one every day. It proposed two purposes: to help the body and soul. The body would be helped by the food and medicine. The soul — by providing a good spirit to die for dying or life for those to be cured. The Brotherhood and its regulations were approved by the vicar of the Archbishop of Lyon on November 24. On December 8, the day of the Immaculate, it was officially erected.
1653. The Archbishop of Paris authorizes the Superior of the Mission “to determine a life style that need not be strictly religious. They will however take the three simple vows, which vows will not be received or accepted by anyone.”
1658. Conference of Vincent de Paul in Saint Lazare about the use of wine.
1703. The director of the Hotel Dieu of Vichy, on his and other directors behalf, regularized the situation of three Sisters sent to the hospital on August 24, 1696. He signed the contract of establishment with Mother Marie Guerin and the Sisters Officers.
1758. The number of pupils in school in Vic has increased from 80 to 100 (in a period from May 12, 1757). The Directors noted that one Sister is not enough and called for the sending of another teacher.
1792. Following the Act of August 18, suppressing religious congregations, it is announced to Daughter of Charity to evacuate the Mother House in three days. Superioress General, Mother Antoinette Deleau sends a request to the oficials of the Commune of Paris stating: 1° – that the Company is a secular society, 2° – it will be difficult to replace in hospitals, hospices and homes some 3000 Daughters of Charity who serve the poor, 3° – that the Mother House groups 250 sisters, including 150 very old and infirm who have devoted their life to the unfortunate and suffering portion of the nation. 190 communards arrived to the Mother House and took possession of the house. Thus the sister are forced to leave their house.
1856. The first “reminder” of Fr. Etienne, edited by Fr. Guarini and given to Pius IX states that the Daughters of Charity are not religious and that the Holy See has frequently recognized the fact that since their foundation the Daughters are under the authority of the Superior General of the Congregation. The second “reminder” is written by Fr. Perboyre and with the permission of Fr. Etienne, is distributed to the Bishops who are participating in Vatican I.
1949. Fr. Ciprien Aroud died in Vichy. He was born in Lyon on January 15, 1876, in the family where four sons became Lazarists. After ordination, he came to China in 1899, heading for Wenzhou district, in the diocese of Ningbo, in 1902 becoming the administrator of this territory. During twenty-five years, number of Christians arose from barely a thousand to about thirty thousand, eighteen priests, catechists and some one hundred and fifty four churches, a school and two homes of indigenous religious. At the age of 54, threatened with blindness, because long and frewuent work and writing letters to the candlelight, he left China. These letters prepared for bishops have resulted in two books: “Mission” and “Life in Mission.” In 1935, after the death of the founder of Missionary House in Vichy, Fr. Henri Watthé, Fr Aroud became its director and then continued to serve missions, not only making this place of rest for the weary missionaries more pleasant, but also extending the prestige of the missionary work and develop the “Colonial Museum”.